GAMBoD LTE & 5G Market Statistics: May 2019
GAMBoD – GSA’s NTS database shows:
- There are 734 operators with commercially launched LTE networks (broadband fixed wireless access and or mobile). At least 112other companies have licences suitable for LTE services, are deploying LTE, or are planning LTE networks; or are evaluating, testing or trialling LTE.
- 226operators hold licences to use spectrum for TDD services, 160of which have launched services.
- 298operators have deployed/launched LTE-Advanced or LTE-Advanced Pro technologies in their commercial networks. 174operators are investing in one or more LTE-Advanced Pro technologies
- 231operators in 91 countries are investing in 5G networks in the form of tests, trials, pilots, planned and actual deployments.
- By mid-May 2019 41operators had announced that they had deployed either 3GPP or non-3GPP-compliant 5G technology in their networks. Fourteen had announced the launch of 5G mobile or FWA services (many of them with only very limited availability). Twelve of those are understood to have deployed 3GPP-compliant networks. These figures are reduced by one since the last update as Nordic Telecom in Czechia has confirmed to GSA that its announced ‘5G’ service launch is currently based on LTE.
The GAMBoD NTS database tracks various LTE network technologies:
- 4×4 MIMO – 136 operators identified as investing, of which 75 have deployed/launched the technology within their commercial networks.
- 8T8R MIMO and Massive MIMO – 57 operators identified as investing in these technologies.
- 256 QAM in the DL – 109 operators identified as investing, of which 63 have deployed/launched the technology within their commercial networks.
And numerous key LTE service features also in the GAMBoD database:
- 35 operators investing in LAA(8 with deployed/launched networks); 11 operators investing in LTE-U(3 with deployed/launched networks); 3 operators investing in LWA (one launch so far). 16 operators (all in the US) are investing in CBRS.
- 256 operators investing in VoLTE, with 189 deployed/launched networks.
- 23 operators investing in Enhanced Voice Services (EVS), including 20 launches.
- 5 launched/deployed eMBMS services.
- 146 operators investing in NB-IoT with 95 deployed/launched networks.
- 61 operators investing in LTE-Mwith 36 deployed/launched networks.