LTE & 5G Market Statistics. Update for July 2019
LTE & 5G: 293 operators investing in 5G networks – 35 operators with commercially launched 3GPP-compliant 5G services.
GSA’s NTS database shows:
- There are 758 operators with commercially launched LTE networks (broadband fixed wireless access and or mobile). Over 150 other companies are understood to be investing in LTE (either testing or trialling LTE, planning LTE networks, with licences suitable for LTE services, or deploying LTE.
- 231 operators hold licences to use spectrum for TDD services, 161 of which have launched services.
- 306 operators have deployed/launched LTE-Advanced or LTE-Advanced Pro technologies in their commercial networks. 187 operators are investing in one or more LTE-Advanced Pro technologies
- 293 operators in 98 countries are investing in 5G networks in the form of tests, trials, pilots, planned and actual deployments.
- By mid-June 2019 55 operators had announced that they had deployed either 3GPP compliant (54 operators) or non-3GPP-compliant (one operator) 5G technology in their networks.
- With multiple announcements of 5G launches in recent weeks, GSA now counts 35 operators in 20 countries offering 3GPP-compliant commercial 5G services (some with smart phones; some with 5G routers; some offering services widely; some with limited geographic, device or and customer availability).
151 operators investing in NB-IoT; 62 are investing in LTE-M
The NTS database tracks various LTE network technologies:
- 4×4 MIMO – 137 operators identified as investing, of which 79 have deployed/launched the technology within their commercial networks.
- 8T8R MIMO and Massive MIMO – 60 operators identified as investing in these technologies; at least 28 deployed/launched.
- 256 QAM in the DL – 109 operators identified as investing, of which 65 have deployed/launched the technology within their commercial networks.
And numerous key LTE & 5G service features:
- 37 operators investing in LAA(8 with deployed/launched networks); 11 operators investing in LTE-U (3 with deployed/launched networks); 3 operators investing in LWA (one launch so far). 17 public network operators (all in the US) are investing in CBRS.
- 261 operators investing in VoLTE, with 194 deployed/launched networks.
- 5 launched/deployed eMBMS services.
- 151 operators investing in NB-IoT with 98 deployed/launched networks.
- 62 operators investing in LTE-M with 38 deployed/launched networks.