Presentation by Dino Flore, Chairman of 3GPP RAN at the ATIS 5G Symposium, June 2015
The presentation outlines the main features for the evolution of LTE in Release 13 and 3GPP’s initial plans for 5G.
3GPP Release 13 advances include:
* Offload to unlicensed spectrum, considering both LTE/Wi-Fi interworking and LTE over unlicensed (LAA)
* Enhancements for Carrier Aggregation (up to 32 CCs)
* Elevation Beamforming/Full-Dimension MIMO
* Study of downlink multi-user transmissions using superposition coding
* M2M (in 3GPP this is MTC) enhancements
* New radio optimized for the low end of the IoT market
* D2D Enhancements
The timeline for the 3GPP standardization effort for next generation cellular technology, aka 5G is covered:
* IMT 2020 submission deadlines
* 5G timeline in 3GPP
* Next generation radio technology
* Operation above 6 GHz
* Service & system aspects
This document is made available here on the GSA website with the permission of the author.
Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of GSA.
YOU ARE INVITED TO JOIN the 5G discussion group on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=5089259
What’s next in 5G Advanced? Qualcomm Inc. presentation 3GPP Release-19 is bringing new 5G system capabilities and setting a direction…
AI-native Communications System Design – Qualcomm presentation Artificial intelligence (AI) has become an ever-present topic in recent news, captivating headlines…
Global-5G-Spectrum Update July 2023 Spectrum is the backbone that carries all voice and data in wireless communications. It is a…