LTE & 5G Market Status: Global Snapshot – March 2020
Launched 5G Networks
LTE & 5G Market Statistics: Global Snapshot
63 operators in 35 countries have launched one or more 3GPP-compliant 5G services (including 55 mobile and 34 FWA services)
69 operators investing in LTE-M; 45 have launched the technology in their network
As of end-February 2020 GSA’s NTS database showed:
- There are 788 operators with commercially launched LTE networks (offering broadband fixed wireless access and or mobile services).
- 239 operators hold licences to use spectrum for TD-LTE services, 169 of which are known to be actively using the spectrum (either deploying networks or have launched services).
- 366 operators investing in either LTE-Advanced or LTE-Advanced Pro technologies. Of those, 325 operators have deployed/launched LTE-Advanced or LTE-Advanced Pro technologies in their commercial networks. 202 operators are investing in one or more LTE-Advanced Pro technologies.
- 359 operators are investing in 5G networks in the form of tests, trials, pilots, planned and actual deployments.
- 80 operators have announced that they have deployed 3GPP-compliant 5G technology in their networks.
- With multiple announcements of 5G launches in recent weeks, GSA now counts 63 operators in 35 countries that have launched one or more 3GPP-compliant commercial 5G services (some with smart phones; some with 5G routers; some offering services widely; some with limited geographic, device or and customer availability).
- Including 55, 5G mobile services (including 6 limited availability launches) and 34 5G FWA or home broadband services (7 limited availability).
The NTS database tracks various LTE network technologies:
- 4×4 MIMO – 146 operators identified as investing, of which 88 have deployed/launched the technology within their commercial networks.
- 8T8R MIMO and Massive MIMO – 73 operators identified as investing in these technologies; at least 32 deployed/launched.
- 256 QAM in the DL – 121 operators identified as investing, of which 74 have deployed/launched the technology within their commercial networks.
- And numerous key LTE service features:
- 37 operators investing in LAA (8 with deployed/launched networks); 12 operators investing in LTE-U (3 with deployed/launched networks); 3 operators investing in LWA (one launch so far). 17 public network operators (all in the US) are investing in CBRS.
- 269* operators investing in VoLTE, with 206 launched networks.
- 159 operators investing in NB-IoT with 107 deployed/launched networks.
- 69 operators investing in LTE-M with 45 deployed/launched networks.
Countries with launched 5G Networks