LTE in Unlicensed and Shared Spectrum – Snapshot July 2019
LTE in Unlicensed Spectrum:
- 37 operators investing in LAA across 21 countries
- 8 of these have announced LAA network deployments or launches, in 6 countries
- 29 other operators are trialling or deploying LAA technology in 18 countries
- 11 operators have announced investments in LTE-U networks
- 3 LTE-U networks have been deployed or launched in 3 countries; 8 other operators have been investing in the technology in the form of trials, or pilots in 7 countries
- 1 LWA network launched in Taiwan, with two other operators investing in the technology through trials in South Korea and Taiwan.
- 1 eLAA trial in South Korea
- 17 public network operators investing in CBRS trials in the USA, plus numerous companies looking at private network use cases
- 21 commercially available modem-containing chipsets supporting unlicensed access
- 200 devices (including regional variants of devices) either supporting LTE in unlicensed spectrum, or shared spectrum using CBRS, from 39 vendors. Recent growth has been driven largely by CBRS band 48 devices – particularly routers.
Data taken from GAMBoD, the GSA Analyser for Mobile Broadband Data – a unique search and analysis tool that has been developed by GSA to enable searches of mobile broadband devices and now includes new global data on Mobile Broadband Networks, Technologies and Spectrum – NTS.
The LTE Devices database can be searched by supplier, form factor, features, peak downlink and uplink speeds, and operating frequency. The NTS (Networks, Technologies & Spectrum) database can be searched by MBB technology, feature, UE category, downlink speed, spectrum bands used and can be segmented by region. Results are presented as a list or in charts. Charts may be inserted into documents or presentations, subject to accreditation of GSA as the source.
GAMBoD is a resource dedicated to promoting the success and growth of the MBB industry and ecosystem and is fully available to all employees of GSA Executive and Ordinary Member companies and GSA Associates who subscribe to the service.