Spectrum for 5G Networks: Licensing Developments Worldwide
GSA is aware of 50 countries/territories that are formally considering introducing certain spectrum bands for terrestrial 5G services, are holding consultations regarding suitable spectrum allocations for 5G, have reserved spectrum for 5G, have announced plans to auction frequencies or have already allocated spectrum for 5G use.
This report reflects a market that is in constant flux and feedback is greatly appreciated to keep it current. The next update will be published in February 2019. Please send comments and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Important changes since the last report include:
- Argentina: governmental decree to open up satellite spectrum for mobile use.
- Belgium: possible delay to 5G spectrum auctions.
- Burkina Faso: conversion of all licences to technology neutral status.
- Croatia called for applications to use spectrum from 2500–2690 MHz for wireless broadband services.
- Cyprus: Calls for applications to participate in an auction of spectrum at 800 MHz and 2600 MHz.
- Ghana: completion of auction for spectrum at 800 MHz.
- Hong Kong: completed auction of spectrum at 900 MHz and 1800 MHz, and applications requested for use of spectrum in the 26 GHz and 28 GHz bands.
- India: an update on 5G spectrum release timings.
- Latvia: Plans to redistribute spectrum from 1427–1517 MHz.
- Macau: identified spectrum bands to be released for public mobile services, in preparation for 5G.
- Macedonia: Expressions of interest requested for a tender of spectrum at 2100 MHz.
- Oman: allocated 5G licences.
- Qatar: granted 5G licences.
- Poland: a request to the European Commission to delay 700 MHz spectrum release to 2022.
- Saudi Arabia awarded licences to use spectrum at 2300 MHz and 2600 MHz.
- Thailand: draft rules for an auction of spectrum at 700 MHz and a date for 2G switch-off.
- UK: plans announced for auctions of spectrum at 700 MHz and 3600–3800 MHz, and launched a consultation on spectrum sharing for underused spectrum bands.
- Uruguay: possible plans for 5G spectrum auctions in 2019.
- USA: auction of spectrum at 28 GHz ended.
Content can be used providing GSA is referenced as the source.