Spectrum for 5G Networks v2: May 2019 – global update
Spectrum for 5G Networks: Updated 31st May to correct Greece and Cyprus.
GSA is aware of 59 countries, territories, special administrative regions, disputed territories and dependencies that are formally considering introducing certain spectrum bands for terrestrial 5G services, are holding consultations regarding suitable spectrum allocations for 5G, have reserved spectrum for 5G, have announced plans to auction frequencies or have already allocated spectrum for 5G use.
This report provides a snapshot of the global status of national 5G spectrum plans as of 9 May 2019. As national regulators plot their countries’ moves towards 5G, there are important choices to be made about which portions of the spectral range should be either dedicated to terrestrial 5G networks and services or at least accessible to 5G networks and services.
This report reflects a market that is in constant flux and feedback is greatly appreciated to keep it current. The next update will be published in early June 2019. Please send comments and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important changes since the last report include:
- Albania: 800 MHz tender completed.
- Belgium: consultation launched on the use of 26 GHz for 5G.
- Canada: auction of spectrum at 600 MHz completed.
- Colombia: call for interest in auction of spectrum at 700, 1900 and 2600 MHz for terrestrial mobile services.
- Czechia: 700 MHz and 3500 MHz auctions scheduled for 2019.
- Greece: 5G test licences issued, full licence awards expected late in 2019. 800/2600 MHz auction bidders named.
- Indonesia: updated spectrum roadmap.
- Japan: award of 5G spectrum bands.
- Kosovo: consultation on spectrum at 800, 900, and 1800 MHz.
- Lithuania: update on spectrum consultations
- Luxembourg: update on spectrum consultations
- Malaysia: updated information on spectrum bands under consideration.
- Netherlands: ACM issues final recommendations to government for auctions of 700, 1400, 2100 and 3500 MHz.
- Mexico: identifies nine bands as potentially suitable for 5G.
- Norway: Offshore spectrum auction completed.
- Singapore: new consultation on policy and regulatory framework for 5G rollout.
- Ukraine: possible 5G spectrum auction dates.
- USA: Clock phase bidding closes on 24 GHz auction, rules for bidding on spectrum in the 37, 39, and 47 GHz ranges published, update on CBRS auction timelines.
- Vietnam: updated information on spectrum bands being considered.
Spectrum for 5G Networks Content can be used providing GSA is referenced as the source.