Evolution from LTE to 5G: Global Market Status – Updated March 2019
Evolution-LTE-5G GSA is reporting there are now 871 operators investing in LTE with 201 operators investing in 5G.
2018 saw the continued introduction of LTE to more markets and regions around the world. Although already very widely deployed, it is still being introduced and several countries have recently announced LTE services. By the end of 2018, GSA had identified 712 operators running LTE networks providing mobile and/or fixed wireless broadband services in 213 countries worldwide. This compares with 645 operators at the end of 2017. GSA is aware of another 117 companies trialling, investing or that have stated plans to invest in LTE. GSA forecasts that 760–770 operators will be running LTE networks by the end of 2019.
Details in the report include:
- 871 operators investing in LTE, including pre-commitment trials.
- 712 operators running LTE networks providing mobile and / or FWA services in 213 countries worldwide.
- 209 operators with TDD licences and at least 145 operators with launched LTE-TDD networks.
- 180 commercial VoLTE networks in 87 countries and a total of 248 operators investing in VoLTE in 112 countries.
- 274 launched or launched (limited availability) LTE-Advanced networks in 122 countries. 317 operators investing in LTE-Advanced technology in 130 countries.
- Six launched networks that support user equipment (UE) at Cat-18 DL speeds within limited geographic areas (i.e., 1050–1200 Mbps peak theoretical DL throughput): 3HK, Bell Mobility, China Unicom, Singtel, Swisscom and Turkcell.
- 760–770 anticipated commercially launched LTE networks by end-2019 (GSA forecast).
- 133 operators investing in NB-IoT in 64 countries; of these, 78 NB-IoT networks are deployed/launched in 45 countries. Fifty-seven operators are investing in LTE-M/Cat-M1 in 34 countries; of these, 30 LTE-M/Cat-M1 networks are deployed/commercially launched in 21 countries.
- 201 operators in 83 countries have launched with limited availability, deployed, demonstrated, are testing or trialling, or have been licensed to conduct field trials of mobile 5G or FWA 5G.
Updated March 2019
Content and maps can be used providing GSA is referenced as the source.