Evolution from LTE to 5G – January 2018
This report is the latest update in a series of studies published by GSA tracking the development of mobile technology markets worldwide.
We summarize network trials, deployments, and the availability of services across a variety of technology innovations and spectrum bands.
- 48 operators investing in LTE, including pre-commitment trials.
- 651 commercially launched LTE or LTE-Advanced networks in 202 countries, including those using LTE for Fixed Wireless Access services, and including 105 LTE-TDD (TD-LTE) networks launched in 57 countries.
- 134 commercial VoLTE networks in 60 countries and 217 operators investing in VoLTE in 95 countries.
- 219 launched networks that are LTE-Advanced in 108 countries.
- 14 launched networks that are capable of supporting user equipment (UE) at Cat-16 DL speeds.
- 680–700 anticipated commercially launched LTE networks by end-2018 (GSA forecast).
- 39 NB-IoT and 9 LTE-M/Cat-M1 networks commercially launched with 52 NB-IoT and 25 LTE-M/Cat-M1 networks planned or being trialled.
- 113 operators have been engaged in, are engaged in, plan to engage in, or have been licensed to undertake 5G demos, tests or trials of one or more constituent technologies.
- 35 operators, at least, that have now made public commitments to time-lines for deployment of pre-standards ‘5G’ or standards-based 5G networks in 23 countries.
GSA welcomes additions to the database of information. The database also contains information about spectrum bands and bandwidth used, where available. If you have additional information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The next update of this report will be in April 2018.