Global Spectrum for 5G – Licensing Worldwide – July 2019 Update
Global Spectrum for 5G Networks: Licensing Developments Worldwide:
This report provides a snapshot of the global status of national 5G spectrum plans as of 25 July 2019. As national regulators plot their countries’ moves towards 5G, there are important choices to be made about which portions of the global spectrum for 5G range should be either dedicated to terrestrial 5G networks and services or at least accessible to 5G networks and services.
The report reflects a market that is in constant flux and feedback is greatly appreciated to keep it current. The next update will be published in August 2019. Please send comments and information to email@example.com.
Important changes since the last report include:
- Austria: consultation launched on plans for spectrum at 2300 MHz and 26 GHz.
- Bahrain: spectrum allocated at 800 MHz and 2600 MHz (TDD).
- Canada: ISED announced plans in relation to C-Band and mmWave spectrum.
- Czechia: consultation launched on the conditions for the tender to use spectrum at 700 MHz and 3400–3600 MHz.
- Ecuador: spectrum auction plans updated.
- France: ARCEP set the end date for L-Band licences with a view to opening for 5G and launched consultation on spectrum plans for 3400–3800 MHz.
- Germany: use of previously auctioned spectrum at 700 MHz approved.
- Hong Kong: new Localised Wireless Broadband Licences in the 26 GHz and 28 GHz bands created and applications opened for participation in 5G auctions.
- Hungary: timetable and spectrum plan for September auction finalised.
- Ireland: multi-band spectrum consultation launched.
- Israel: tender of spectrum at 700 MHz, 2600 MHz and 3500–3800 MHz launched.
- Malaysia: plans announced for tenders of spectrum at 700 MHz and 2300 MHz.
- Myanmar: consultation on multi-band 4G/5G auction in 2020.
- Norway: consultation launched on spectrum bands for 5G, including revised timetable.
- Peru: consultation launched on plans to open up 3400–3800 MHz for advanced broadband services.
- Slovakia: H2 2019 timetable announced for 700 MHz tender.
- Spain: 700 MHz spectrum release approved by Royal Decree.
- Thailand: sale of spectrum at 700 MHz completed.
- United Kingdom: Ofcom announced spectrum sharing in several key bands.
- USA: FCC announced decision to enable flexible use of spectrum at 2.5 GHz.